Have you read the label on a can of cream soup lately? Not only are cream soups full of sodium, but also MSG, less-than-healthy oils, and potential allergens such as wheat & soy. So what to use instead when your recipe calls for cream of chicken (or other flavor) soup? Make your own cream of chicken soup (or other flavor)!
Make a master mix of DIY homemade Cream of Anything Soup & store it in your pantry. It’s a healthier way to make cream soups, as well as a money and space saver! Here’s how:
DIY Homemade Cream of Anything Soup Master Mix
Ingredients (blend all of the following & store in an airtight jar):
- 1 cup nonfat dry milk (preferably organic)
- 3/4 cup cornstarch (preferably organic, so it would be non-GMO)
- 3 tablespoons dried minced onions
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
When you need a cream soup:
1. Add 1/3 cup dry soup mix to 1 1/4 cup water in a small saucepan. (I write the recipe with a dry erase marker on the lid.)
2. Add a packet of broth concentrate to the saucepan (chicken, beef or veggie). (Broth concentrates are a healthier choice than bouillon, as well as take up less space in your pantry—and use less packaging—than store bought broths in tetra packs. I use Trader Joe’s brand.) OR replace the water + broth concentrate with homemade or store bought broth or stock.
3. Simmer until thickened.
*If you need the soup for a Crock Pot slow cooker recipe, just add in the mix and the liquid, and it will thicken up as your recipe cooks. No need to make it on the stove top first.
Here’s a video demonstrating how to make this: How to Make Your Own Clean DIY Homemade Healthy Make-Ahead Kitchen Mixes
Like this recipe and want more like it? Then check out The DIY Kitchen Cookbook: How to Make Your Own Clean & Healthy Make-Ahead Mixes, Seasoning Blends, Snacks, Breakfasts, Condiments, Dressings & Drinks. This e-book is full of 62 recipes that are cleaner, healthier, more budget-friendly versions of what you’d normally buy in a grocery store.